Skip main navigation

Cove Fort

Cove Fort, 1847–1890 Time Line

24 July 1847

Mormon pioneers arrive in the Salt Lake Valley.


1847

Mormon explorers first pass through Cove Creek area, known as “pahumpa” to native peoples.


1851

George A. Smith names the area “Cove Creek” en route to the Iron Mission in Cedar City.


1852

Charles and Eleanor Willden move to Cedar City as part of the Iron Mission. On the way, they remark that Cove Creek would be a lovely place to settle.


1860

Willden family establishes a fort and ranch at Cove Creek after their service in the Iron Mission comes to an end.


1861

Brigham Young tours southern settlements, stopping at Fort Willden.


1865

After a harsh winter, diseased cattle and the threat of troubles with Indians cause the Willdens to leave Cove Creek.


1867

Telegraph from Logan to St. George is completed. Ira Hinckley answers a call to take over a Church-owned ranch and build a new fort at Cove Creek.


1868

Ira Hinckley’s wife Angeline and her children move from Salt Lake City to Cove Fort.


1872

Stagecoaches stop twice daily at Cove Fort.


1872

Thomas and Elizabeth Kane stay at Cove Fort en route to St. George.


1877

Ira Hinckley is called as stake president in Fillmore. He leaves the management of Cove Fort to his brother Arza.


1881

Railroads in the area start to reduce visitor traffic at the fort.


1882

Arza Hinckley leaves on a mission. Ira Hinckley returns to Cove Fort and resumes ranching.


1890

Hinckley family leaves Cove Fort. Church leases the land to other ranchers.