Established in June 1848 near Grand Island, Fort Kearny was the second fort named after Stephen Watts Kearny, the U.S. general of Mexican War fame. The first Fort Kearny, established in May 1846, was located on the Missouri River, some 50 miles south of Council Bluffs. It was abandoned in May 1848. The second Fort Kearny, sometimes called New Fort Kearny, was built on a site purchased from the Pawnee Indians for $2,000 in goods. Sometimes the second Fort Kearny was also referred to as Fort Childs, in honor of Major Thomas Childs of the U.S. artillery. It was abandoned in May 1871.
13 July 1850
"It took us several hours to gather our cattle. We started about 10 o'clock and traveled 12 miles and camped with both divisions in one corral for the Sabbath, on the banks of the Platte 10 miles east of Fort Kearney..." Read More
Eliza R. Snow
"As we journeyed, mothers gave birth to offspring under almost every variety of circumstances; except those to which they had been accustomed—in tents and wagons—in rainstorms and in snow storms..." Read More