- Birth Date
- 15 June 1811
- Death Date
- 6 April 1888
James was a member of the Mormon Battalion, along with his son William Byram. After his service, he was chosen as a captain that led a group back to Winter Quarters from California. He traveled with the Levi W. Hancock/Jefferson Hunt/James Pace/Andrew Lytle Company in 1847. He stayed in Winter Quarters for three years until he had the finances needed to take his family to the Salt Lake Valley.
He traveled with his family as Captain of the James Pace Company in 1850. The Pace family consisted of James and his wife, Lucinda Gibson Strickland, and their seven children, William Byram, Mary Ann, Warren Sidney, Martha Elmina, Margaret Angelina, John Ezra, and Amanda Lucinda.
On 28 August 1852, he was called on a mission to England, and left on 9 September. He served in England for three years, and then traveled home with the Isaac Allred Freight Train in 1855.
- Age at Departure: 36
- Company Captain
- Age at Departure: 38
- Company Captain
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 44
- 1850 Utah Census.
- “7th Company of 50 report, 1855 July.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1853-1855. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 42)
- Bliss, Robert Stanton, Diary 1846 Aug.-1848 Jan.
- Dana, Charles Root, Autobiography 1859, fd. 3, 82-86.
- "Dixie Pioneer Dies at Home in St. George Day Before Thanksgiving," The Richfield Reapeer , 1 Dec. 1932, 1.
- Duke, Jonathan Oldham, Reminiscences and diary, 1850 June-1857 July, 12-20.
- "Emigration (From the Frontier Guardian , June 12 th , 1850)," Latter-day Saints' Millennial Star 15 Aug. 1850, 252-53.
- Hampton, Brigham Young, Autobiography and diary, 71-73, in Brigham Young Hampton, Papers, 1870-1901, fd. 1.
- Hancock, Levi Ward, Journals 1846-1847, fd. 3.
- "Immigration List," Deseret News, 12 September 1855, 214.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1850, 5.
- Margetts, Phil, "One Man in His Time Plays Many Parts: His Acts Being Seven Ages," Juvenile Instructor, 1 Aug. 1903, 472-74.
- Pace, James, Autobiographical sketch [ca. 1861], 7-8.
- Pace, James, Autobiographical sketch [ca. 1861], 9.
- Pace, James, Diary, 1846 Jul-1847 Oct., 53-66.
- Pace, William Byram, Autobiography 1904, .
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 277.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company general files (CR 376 1), 1850-1887.
- Redd, John Hardison, Diary 1850 June-Aug.
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 , , 180.
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin. The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848, Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996, 23.
- Utah, Early Mormon Missionary Database