- Birth Date
- 6 April 1826
- Death Date
- 27 February 1913
His birth date is confirmed by the missionary register.
The Fotheringham family traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Warren Foote Company in 1850. The family included John and his wife Charlotte Gentle, and their children William, Margaret, and Sarah.
At the end of his mission in 1855, William returned home with the Amasa M. Lyman Company.
In 1864, William returned home from a mission to South Africa. Further research is needed to identify the company he traveled with.
The family’s surname is spelled “Fotherington” on the 1850 census.
- Age at Departure: 24
- Age at Departure: 29
- Age at Departure: 37
- Returning Missionary
- 1850 Utah Census.
- Allred, Reddin Alexander, Journal 1855 Mar.-1863 Mar.
- "Arrivals," Deseret News [Weekly], 5 Dec. 1855, 309.
- Fotheringham, William, Biographical sketch, in Biographical sketches 1891- , reel 37, box 38, fd. 9, item 22.
- Keeler, James, Journals, 1850-1859; 1876-1890, vol. 4.
- Lyman, Amasa Mason, Journal, vol. 15, box 1, fd. 8, in Amasa Mason Lyman, Collection 1832-1877.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Patriarchal Blessing Index, 1833-1971. (Closed to Research)
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 302.
- "South African Emigration, 1853-1865," in Wright, Evan P. A History of the South African Mission ,, vol. 1, 264-280.
- Utah Death Certificates.