- Birth Date
- 12 November 1820
- Death Date
- 15 September 1904
Philemon Christopher Merrill
Merrill crossed the plains several times. On his first trip, in 1847, he served as the 3rd Lieutenant for that company. He served as a clerk in the Silas Richards company, traveling with his wife and three children. He crossed the plains at least two more times, once in 1851 and again in 1856.
- Age at Departure: 26
- Age at Departure: 28
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 30
- Age at Departure: 35
- Company Captain
- 1850 Utah Census, Salt Lake County.
- Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- Crook, John, Autobiography, in Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Collection, 1828-1963, reel 12, item 6, 8-10.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Higbee, Emma Isabelle Carroll Seegmiller, Biographical Sketch of Kazia Giles Carroll, in Family histories [n.d.].
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1849, 5G.
- Merrill, Philemon Christopher, Autobiography [ca. 1890], 5.
- Merrill, Philemon Christopher, Autobiography [ca. 1890], 6
- Mormon Migration
- Richards, Silas, Journals 1846 May-1855 July, fd. 1, 1-36.
- Richards, Silas, Reminiscences and journal [ca. 1849-1871], 3-12.
- Richards, Silas, to Brigham Young, 24 August 1849, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878.
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin. The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848, Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996, 23.
- "Silas Richards company, 1849 September." In Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849.
- "Thatcher, Arizona: Philemon C. Merrill Dead," Deseret Evening News , 22 Sep. 1904, 9.
- Treasures of Pioneer History, vol. 6, p. 60
- Tripp, Enoch B, Autobiography, in Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Collection, 1828-1963, reel 17, item 13, 19.
- Woolley, Samuel Amos, Diaries, 1846-1899, box 1, fd. 2, vol. 6, 213-44 and box 1, fd. 3, vol. 7, 1-15.