- Birth Date
- 12 December 1810
- Death Date
- 22 October 1890
Twin brother of Elijah Averett. He made his first trip to the Valley in 1847, coming east from California with a number of other Mormon Battalion veterans. At some point, he continued east to Winter Quarters because he seen crossing the plains again in 1849 with the Smith/Jones Company, in which he served as captain of a hundred.
- Age at Departure: 36
- Age at Departure: 38
- 1850 Utah Census.
- "Another Pioneer Gone," The Wasatch Wave , 10 May 1912, .
- Appleby, William I., Autobiography and journal, 1848-1856, fd. 1.
- Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- Hancock, Levi Ward, Journals 1846-1847, fd. 3.
- Isaac Clark Emigrating Company, Journal, 1849 July-Oct.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint, Supplement after 31 December 1849, 6.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint, Supplement after 31 December 1849, 8B.
- Larson, Carl V. comp. A Database of the Mormon Battalion: An Identification of the Original Members of the Mormon Battallion (Salt Lake City: U.S. Mormon Battalion, 1997), 15.
- Pace, James, Diary, 1846 Jul-1847 Oct., 53-66.
- Pettegrew, David, "A History of David Pettegrew," fd. 1, 102, in David Pettegrew, Papers 1840-1857.
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 , , 180.
- Smith, Lucy Meserve, Autobiographical sketch, in Papers, 1848-1892, 28-37.
- U. S., Headstone Applications for Military Veterans, 1925-1963.
- "Veteran Laid to Rest," Deseret Evening News , 5 Nov. 1890, 3.