- Birth Date
- 11 September 1820
- Death Date
- 6 December 1888
He made his way to the Valley the first time from California as a returning Battalion veteran. He continued on to the East and crossed the plains again with the 1851 Cummings company. Company records indicate his traveling group consisted of eight people. He served as captain of the guard in the Cummings company.
- Age at Departure: 27
- Age at Departure: 30
- Alfred Cordon Emigrating Company, Journal, 1851 June-Sept.
- Carter, Kate B., The Mormon Battalion , p. 106
- McAllister, J[ohn] D[aniel] T[hompson], Journals, reel 1, vol. 1, p. 2-3
- [Names of men who wish for land to cultivate who came from California with Jonathan H. Holmes], in Salt Lake Recorder's Office, Land records [ca. 1847-1860].
- "Reminiscences, 1851-1853." In John D. T. McAllister journals 1851-1906. (MS 1257, Reel 1, Box 1, Folder 1), 6-7.
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 , , 222-23.
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin. The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848, Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996, 23.