- Birth Date
- 4 July 1828
- Death Date
- 25 March 1902
James Stephens Brown
Evidence from emigration and church records proves that James and his wife Mary traveled to Utah in 1851. Further research is needed to determine the name of the company they traveled with.
He was camptain of the 1862 James S. Brown company and a returning missionary from England.
- Age at Departure: 19
- Age at Departure: 22
- Age at Departure: 30
- Company Captain
- Age at Departure: 34
- Company Captain
- Head of Household
- [Bigler, Henry W.], Henele Pikale, "Recollections of the Past," Juvenile Instructor 21, no. 24 (15 Dec. 1886): 371.
- Bigler, Henry William, Reminiscences and diaries 1846-1850, vol. 1, 91-106.
- Bigler, Henry William, Reminiscences and diaries 1846-1850, vol. 2, 1-13.
- Brown, James S., Giant of the Lord: Life of a Pioneer , 415-22.
- Brown, James Stephens, Reminiscences and journals, 1857–1900, 12 p.
- Davis, John Catley, Diary, 1859 June–Aug., fd. 2, 9p.
- Edson, Charlotte Purdy, Autobiographical sketch, in Genealogical Charts and Biographical Sketches of Members of the L.D.S. Church, Ogden Stake , 26 vols., 11:115.
- Farrell, George Lionel, [Interview], in "Utah Pioneer Biographies," 44 vols., 10:16-17.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Gordon, John H., Report, in Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 29 Aug. 1859, 2-3.
- Green, Ephraim, Journal 1848 June-Sept. and 1849 Dec.
- Holmes, Jonathan Harriman, Diary 1846-1848, vol. 1.
- "How a Utah Man Escaped Death at the Stake," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 4 August 1901, 3.
- Johnson, Mildred Eliza, to My Dearest Sister, 18 Sep. 1859, in Mildred Moss Boyce, [Biographical sketch of Mildred Eliza Johnson Randall] 1979, 2-3.
- McKay, Williamena McKay, A short story of the life of Williamena McKay McKay, in Nora Crystal Hall Lund, Biographies collection [ca. 1950-1983], reel 2, 2.
- McKay, Williamena McKay, Autobiographical sketch, 1915, 2-3.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- [Names of men who wish for land to cultivate who came from California with Jonathan H. Holmes], in Salt Lake Recorder's Office, Land records [ca. 1847-1860].
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 , , 222-23.
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin. The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848, Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996, 23.
- Rogers, Samuel Hollister, Reminiscences and diary 1841-1886, vol. 1, 158-66.
- "Third Independent Company," Deseret News, 8 October 1862, 113.