- Birth Date
- 11 October 1808
- Death Date
- 16 September 1872
He was part of one of the Mormon Battalion sick detachments before he returned eastward. He headed back across the plains to the Valley in 1849, accompanying his wife and children.
- Age at Departure: 38
- Age at Departure: 40
- Head of Household
- "Grandmother Garner: Another Octogenarian has Gone to Her Rest," Ogden Standard, 19 March 1892, .
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint, Supplement after 31 December 1849, 5F.
- Richards, Silas, Journals 1846 May-1855 July, fd. 1, 1-36.
- Richards, Silas, Reminiscences and journal [ca. 1849-1871], 3-12.
- Richards, Silas, to Brigham Young, 24 August 1849, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878.
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin. The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848, Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996, 23.
- "Silas Richards company, 1849 September." In Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849.