- Birth Date
- 24 August 1824
- Death Date
- 16 December 1903
John William Hess
John first traveled with a sick detachment from the Mormon Battalion. After they returned to Winter Quarters, John continued on to the Salt Lake Valley in 1849, leading his own company. Later in 1852, Alma Hayes documents in his autobiography that his uncle John William Hess brought his two orphaned nephews to Utah--Alma and Nephi Hayes. Further research is needed to determine the name of the company they traveled with.
- Age at Departure: 22
- Age at Departure: 24
- Company Captain
- Age at Departure: 27
- 1850 Utah Census.
- Biographical Record of Salt Lake City and Vicinity (Chicago: National Historical Record Company, 1902), 443.
- "Events of the Month," Improvement Era , Feb. 1904, 7:313.
- Hayes, Alma, "A History of Patriarch Alma Hayes," .
- Hess, David, Reminiscences, fd. 2, 20, in John William Hess, Autobiography and journal [ca. 1887-1895].
- Hess, John W., Journal, fd. 2, 8-9, in John W. Hess, Autobiography and journal [ca. 1887-1895].
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- "Pres. J. W. Hess Dead," Davis County Clipper, 25 December 1903, .
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin. The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848, Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996, 23.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.