- Birth Date
- 12 September 1826
- Death Date
- 24 May 1880
John Young Greene
John initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Brigham Young Pioneer Company in 1847 and was part of the 3rd Company of Ten led by Phineas H. Young.
From the Salt Lake Valley, John had traveled to California for mules and cows. After his trip to California, he traveled back to the Salt Lake Valley, was there four days, and then headed east until he met the Brigham Young Company in 1848. According to Thomas Bullock‘s journal, on 11 July 1848 John Young Greene and Joseph W. Young met the company with news from the Salt Lake Valley. On 16 July 1848, John Young was sent with Benjamin W. Rolfe and Cyrenus Taylor ahead of the company to carry mail to the Salt Lake Valley.
Then, in 1859, he traveled as co-captain of the Hiram T. Spencer/John Y. Greene train according to Nathaniel George Chambers’ biographical sketch.
In 1860, he traveled with the Hooper and Eldredge Freight Train as a captain of a mule train as indicated in a Deseret News article of 8 August 1860.
- Age at Departure: 20
- Age at Departure: 21
- Age at Departure: 32
- Company Captain
- Age at Departure: 33
- Bullock, Thomas, Journals 1843-1849, fd. 1-4.
- Bullock, Thomas, Journals 1843-1849, vol. 4.
- Chambers, Nathaniel George, [Biographical sketch], in Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia , 2:523-524.
- Clayton, William, Diary, 1847 January-December.
- "Died," Deseret News [Weekly], 2 June 1880, 288.
- "First 100, report, 1848 June," In Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849, Brigham Young's 1848 emigration division.
- Huntington, Oliver Boardman, Diary and reminiscences, 1843 June-1900 Jan., 20-43.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 5.
- Kimball, Heber C., Journal, in Papers 1837-1866.
- "Latest from the Plains," Deseret News, 8 August 1860, 180.
- Lee, John D., A Mormon Chronicle: The Diaries of John D. Lee, 1848-1876, ed. Robert Glass Cleland and Juanita Brooks, 2 vols. , 1:30-79.
- Lyman, Amasa Mason, Diary, reel 1, vol. 8, 1-26 and 1-10, written by Albert Carrington, in Amasa Mason Lyman, Collection 1832-1877.
- Neibaur, Alexander, Journal, 1841 Feb.-1862 Apr., 26-38.
- Rockwood, Albert Perry, Diary, 1847 April-July.
- Young, Lorenzo Dow, Diaries, 1846-1852 and 1888-1891, vol. 1.