- Birth Date
- 21 July 1816
- Death Date
- 22 December 1868
David initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Brigham Young Pioneer Company in 1847 and was part of the 8th Company of Ten led by Seth Taft.
In 1848, he traveled again to the Valley with the Brigham Young Company.
He served a mission in the British Isles 1853-1856 and sailed back to America on the ship S. Curling. At the end of a mission, David traveled home with the Edward Bunker Company in 1856. He was a counselor to Captain Edward Bunker, and was a Captain of a Hundred.
His birth date and death date are confirmed by his gravestone and by Salt Lake County death records.
- Age at Departure: 30
- Age at Departure: 31
- Age at Departure: 39
- 1850 Utah Census.
- Bullock, Thomas, Correspondence, 1836-1857.
- Bullock, Thomas, Journals 1843-1849, vol. 4.
- Bunker, Edward, Autobiography, 1894, 22-23.
- Clayton, William, Diary, 1847 January-December.
- Egan, Howard, Pioneering the West, 1846 to 1878, ed. and comp. William M. Egan  21-105.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "First 100, report, 1848 June," In Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849, Brigham Young's 1848 emigration division.
- Grant, D[avid] to William G. Noble, 30 Aug. 1856, "Foreign Correspondence," Latter-day Saints' Millennial Star , 29 Nov. 1856, 767.
- Grant, David, to George A. Smith, 13 Feb. 1859, [2-3], in Missionary reports, 1831-1900.
- Hyde, Elizabeth Lane, "Autobiagraphy [sic] of Elizabeth L. Hyde," Woman's Exponent , 15 Aug. 1896, 29.
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 5.
- Kimball, Heber C., Journal, in Papers 1837-1866.
- Parry, John, Reminiscences and diary, 1857 Mar.-1867 Sept., 55-60.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 198.
- Rockwood, Albert Perry, Diary, 1847 April-July.
- Smith, Job, Autobiography, [ca. 1902], 41-42.
- Spencer, Daniel to F. D. Richards, 22 June 1856, "Foreign Correspondence," Latter-day Saints' Millennial Star , 2 Aug. 1856, 489-90.
- Turner, George William, Autobiography and minutebook, 121-23.
- Utah, Salt Lake County Death Records, 1849-1949.
- Woodward, W., to Albert Jones, Handcart Veterans Association, 12 Sep. 1906. Handcart Veterans Association, Scrapbook, 1906-1914, fd. 2.
- Woodward, William, Letter, 1907 to Joseph F. Smith, in Utah State Historical Society Cache Valley Chapter, Historical resource materials for Cache Valley, Utah-Idaho, 1955-1956, reel 5, item 1ab.