- Birth Date
- 26 July 1829
- Death Date
- 5 July 1868
John Cameron Galbraith
John emigrated from Scotland aboard the sailing ship Enoch Train, but was not listed as a passenger because he was hired on to work for his passage as a ship's cook. Page 89 of the ship's manifest (as found in the British Mission Record on mormon.migration.lib.byu.edu ) lists his name.
He was among the small group of men who remained behind at Devil's Gate until spring to guard the personal belongings of the emigrants who had been rescued.
- Age at Departure: 27
- 1860 Utah Census.
- Cooper, John. Statement, 10 October 1916.
- "Died," Deseret News, 2 September 1868, 237.
- "Died," Deseret News [Weekly], 2 September 1868, 5.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- “John A. Hunt Company report, 1856.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1856-1862. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 49)
- Jones, Daniel W., Forty Years Among the Indians (1890), 62-75.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 15 December 1856, 14.
- Rogerson, Josiah, Sr., "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.