- Birth Date
- 15 December 1830
- Death Date
- After 1880
Elijah Lucius Chappell
Elijah may have been among the small group of men who remained behind at Devil's Gate until spring to guard the personal belongings of the emigrants who had been rescued. His name is listed with the rest of the group in the minutes of the meeting taken by John Jaques. However, Dan Jones' journal, written many years later, notes the name of Elijah's father, John, instead of Elijah. It is uncertain whether Jones is mistaken or if at Elijah was initially selected, but later replaced by his father. Further, no evidence has been found to indicate that John Chappell even made the trip West.
A church ordinance record (June 5, 1861) documents his presence in Utah at that date, as does an 1863 Third Judicial District court record, Utah Territory Executive Department, proving he was in Utah County at that time.
His name also appears on the California Great Registers, 1866-1910 in 1880, which is a voter registration.
- Age at Departure: 25
- 1860 Utah Census, Davis County.
- 1860 Utah Census.
- California Great Registers, 1866-1910
- Cooper, John. Statement, 10 October 1916.
- England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
- Historians Office Record of Members (Minnie Margetts file).
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- Jaques, John, [Minutes of meeting at Devil's Gate, 9 November 1856], in John Jaques, Collection, 1846-1920.
- “John A. Hunt Company report, 1856.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1856-1862. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 49)
- Jones, Daniel W., Forty Years Among the Indians (1890), 62-75.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 15 December 1856, 12.
- Rogerson, Josiah, Sr., "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.