- Birth Date
- 19 July 1818
- Death Date
- 5 December 1903
John Francis Ellis
Ellis was a carpenter from Wales. He reached the United States via the ship S. Curling. He was among the small group of men who remained behind at Devil's Gate until spring to guard the personal belongings of the emigrants who had been rescued.
- Age at Departure: 38
- 1900 Idaho Census
- Cooper, John. Statement, 10 October 1916.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- “John A. Hunt Company report, 1856.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1856-1862. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 49)
- Jones, Daniel W., Forty Years Among the Indians (1890), 62-75.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 15 December 1856, 13.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 198.
- Rogerson, Josiah, Sr., "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.