- Birth Date
- 4 July 1808
- Death Date
- 19 August 1890
William Adam Empey
Initially, William traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Brigham Young Pioneer Company in 1847. While traveling with the company, William was in pursuit of a group of antelope, when he stumbled upon about 300 Indians. He was able to warn the company.
On June 15, 1847, Brigham Young decided that a group of brethren should stay at the North Fork of the Platt River Upper Ferry, near Casper, Wyoming, where a commercial ferry could be established. The hope was that they could assist all companies with ferrying across the river in order to collect provisions that could be used to sustain the next company of saints. William, along with nine others, was chosen to stay and help operate the Platte River Ferry. They were instructed to join the next company of Saints on into the Salt Lake Valley. Thomas Grover was appointed as the captain of those staying behind.
Many diaries of those in the company indicate the above findings. His travel to Utah is also mentioned in his wife's obituary.
It appears that William remained at the Platte River Ferry until a group of pioneers from Utah returned, heading east to Winter Quarters. He joined them.
In 1848, he traveled with Brigham Young’s Company from Winter Quarters to the Salt Lake Valley, as indicated in Alexander Neibaur’s journal. The obituary of is daughter, Diantha, mentions that she was born as the family was immigrating to Utah.
In 1852, William left on a mission to England. In 1854, he traveled back to the Salt Lake Valley as captain of the William Adam Empey Company as indicated in Peter Sinclair’s journal.
- Age at Departure: 38
- Age at Departure: 46
- Company Captain
- Atwood, Millen, Journal 1847, April-July.
- Bullock, Thomas, Journals 1843-1849, vol. 4.
- Clayton, William, Diary, 1847 January-December.
- "Death of Mary Ann Empey," Deseret News [Weekly], 7 Mar. 1891, 826.
- "Death of a Pioneer," Deseret Weekly , 30 Aug. 1890, 341.
- Egan, Howard, Pioneering the West, 1846 to 1878, ed. and comp. William M. Egan  21-105.
- Empey, William, Autobiographical sketch, in St. George Stake, High Priest Quorum Genealogical Records, 1872-1906, reel 6039, 40, in Record of Members Collection 1836-1970.
- Empey, William A., "The Mormon Ferry on the North Platte, The Journal of William A. Empey, May 7-August 4, 1847," ed. Dale L. Morgan, Annals of Wyoming , July-Oct. 1949, 124-33.
- "Funerals," Salt Lake Telegram, 6 July 1928, 17.
- Harmon, Appleton Milo, Diary 1847 April-July.
- Harper, Charles Alfred, Diary, 1847 Apr.-Aug.
- Higbee, John Somers, Reminiscences and diaries, 1845-1866, vol. 1 and vol. 2.
- "Immigration," St. Louis Luminary , 2 Dec. 1854, 6.
- Jacob, Norton, Reminiscence and journal 1844 May-1852 January, 47-85.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1854, 16.
- Kimball, Heber C., Journal, in Papers 1837-1866.
- Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia , 4:701.
- Lee, John D., A Mormon Chronicle: The Diaries of John D. Lee, 1848-1876, ed. Robert Glass Cleland and Juanita Brooks, 2 vols. , 1:30-79.
- Lyman, Amasa Mason, Diary, reel 1, vol. 8, 1-26 and 1-10, written by Albert Carrington, in Amasa Mason Lyman, Collection 1832-1877.
- Neibaur, Alexander, Journal, 1841 Feb.-1862 Apr., 26-38.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 109.
- "Robert Campbell company report, 1854 August 22." In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1853-1855. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Fd. 35)
- Rockwood, Albert Perry, Diary, 1847 April-July.
- Sinclair, Peter, Journal, 1853-1854, 167-270.
- Woodruff, Wilford, Journal, 1847 Jan.-1853 Dec., box 2, fd. 3, in Journals and papers 1828-1898, 26-77.