- Birth Date
- 18 October 1828
- Death Date
- 5 November 1888
John Greenleaf Holman
John initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Brigham Young Pioneering Company in 1847 was part of the 4th Company of Ten led by Luke Johnson, according to the company rosters and many journals. He was also a part of the standing guard.
In the Fall of 1847, John traveled back east with Brigham Young. Then John traveled again to the Salt Lake Valley with the James Lake Company in 1850, as indicated in the Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia. He traveled in this company with his wife, Nancy Clark, and his two youngest siblings, Jonathan Ezekiel and Abigail Elizabeth, their parents having died in 1846 and 1849.
In 1868, John traveled to the Salt Lake Valley as Captain of the John G. Holman Company, being the head of 606 passengers, mostly Danes and Swedes, 62 teams, and 40 independent passengers with 8 teams. This was the last company of saints to travel this way. The following year, the railroad was completed.
- Age at Departure: 18
- Age at Departure: 21
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 39
- Company Captain
- 1850 Utah Census, Utah County.
- Atwood, Millen, Journal 1847, April-July.
- Bullock, Thomas, Journals 1843-1849, vol. 4.
- Clayton, William, Diary, 1847 January-December.
- Egan, Howard, Pioneering the West, 1846 to 1878, ed. and comp. William M. Egan  21-105.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Hals, Hans Jensen, Journal, in Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 25 Sep. 1868, 18-21.
- "Immigration," Semi-Weekly Telegraph, 28 Sept. 1868, 3.
- "Immigration," Semi-Weekly Telegraph, 28 September 1868, 2.
- "Immigration of 1868," Semi-Weekly Telegraph, 28 September 1868, 3.
- Jacob, Norton, Reminiscence and journal 1844 May-1852 January, 47-85.
- Johnson, John, Reminiscences, 1899-1935, 3 p.
- Jorgenson, Hans, Reminiscences and journal, [ca. 1881-1884], 82-85.
- Journal History, 2 September 1868, 3-22.
- Kimball, Heber C., Journal, in Papers 1837-1866.
- Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia , 4:707.
- Lindsay, William, Reminiscences, 1927-1930, 284-89.
- Lund, Christian Nielsen, Autobiography and diary, 1896 May-1921 Apr., 12-13.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Rockwood, Albert Perry, Diary, 1847 April-July.
- Semi-Weekly Telegraph , 9 July 1868, 2.
- Woodruff, Wilford, Journal, 1847 Jan.-1853 Dec., box 2, fd. 3, in Journals and papers 1828-1898, 26-77.
- Young, Lorenzo Dow, Diaries, 1846-1852 and 1888-1891, vol. 1.