- Birth Date
- 17 July 1814
- Death Date
- 4 December 1879
He served as the Clerk of the Company during his journey to Utah with the 1848 Heber C. Kimball Company.
In 1853 he was a returning missionary on the ship Camillus and and traveled to Utah with the John Brown Company.
- Age at Departure: 32
- Age at Departure: 33
- Head of Household
- Ruth Moon Clayton (Age: 30)
- Margaret Moon Clayton (Age: 28)
- Diantha Clayton (Age: 19)
- Sarah Lucretia Clayton (Age: 10)
- Margaret Normandy Clayton (Age: 9)
- William Heber Clayton (Age: 5)
- Vilate Ruth Clayton (Age: 3)
- Moroni Clayton (Age: 2)
- Joseph Thomas Clayton (Age: 1)
- Newell Horace Clayton (Age: 1)
- Olive Diantha Clayton (Age: Infant)
- Age at Departure: 38
- Bullock, Thomas, Correspondence, 1836-1857.
- Bullock, Thomas, Journals 1843-1849, vol. 4.
- Burton, William, Diaries, 1839-1851, fd. 8.
- Clayton, William, Diary, 1847 January-December.
- Egan, Howard, Pioneering the West, 1846 to 1878, ed. and comp. William M. Egan  21-105.
- Empey, William A., "The Mormon Ferry on the North Platte, The Journal of William A. Empey, May 7-August 4, 1847," ed. Dale L. Morgan, Annals of Wyoming , July-Oct. 1949, 124-33.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Harmon, Appleton Milo, Diary 1847 April-July.
- Jackman, Levi, Journal 1847 March-1849 April, 35-59.
- Jacob, Norton, Reminiscence and journal 1844 May-1852 Jan., 110-15.
- Jacob, Norton, Reminiscence and journal 1844 May-1852 January, 47-85.
- Johnson, Philo, Reminiscences, 1894, 3-4.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 17 July 1853, 1.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 11.
- Kimball, Heber C., Journal, in Autobiography [ca. 1842-1858], in Heber C. Kimball, Papers, 1837-1866, reel 1, box 1. [written by William Clayton]
- Kimball, Heber C., Journal, in Papers 1837-1866.
- Rockwood, Albert Perry, Diary, 1847 April-July.
- Woodruff, Wilford, Journal, 1847 Jan.-1853 Dec., box 2, fd. 3, in Journals and papers 1828-1898, 26-77.