- Birth Date
- 23 October 1820
- Death Date
- 4 November 1896
John Brown traveled with the Mississippi Saints as far as Fort Pueblo in Colorado, where they stopped for the winter. In the mean time, he returned to Mississippi to collect the rest of the Mississippi saints. Brigham Young sent him word to leave them there for another year, but to come to Winter Quarters to travel with the vanguard company of 1847, which he did, serving as captain of the 13th ten. After arriving in the valley, he immediately returned to Mississippi, collected a small group of members, and took them back to Winter Quarters, where they joined with the 1848 Willard Richards Company. He served as Captain of the 4th ten in that company.
In both 1851 and 1853, he captained his own emigrant companies.
He was a returning missionary from England in 1862.
Some of his travels are mentioned in the obituary of his daughter, Martha.
John's date of birth was listed as 23 October 1820 in "John Brown's company of 10, report, 1848 June."
- Age at Departure: 25
- Age at Departure: 26
- Age at Departure: 27
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 30
- Company Captain
- Age at Departure: 32
- Company Captain
- Age at Departure: 41
- Returning Missionary
- Archer, Lucy Brown. Autobiography of Colonel William Nicol Fife.
- Brown, John, Autobiographical sketch, .
- Brown, John, Autobiographical sketch [n.d.], fd. 1, 54.
- Brown, John, Autobiography, p. 96-102
- Brown, John, Reminiscences and journals, 1843-1896, vol. 1, 155-56.
- Brown, John, Reminiscences and journals, 1843-1896, vol. 1, 189-94.
- Brown, John, Reminiscences and journals, 1843-1896, volume 1, 109-13.
- Brown, John, Reminiscences and journals, vol. 1, 56-70.
- Brown, John, and A. M. Harmon to Brigham Young, 12 Oct. 1853, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 32, box 22, fd. 21.
- Brown, John, and A. M. Harmon to Brigham Young, 17 Sept. 1853, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 32, box 22, fd. 21.
- Brown, John, and Preston Thomas, to Thomas Bullock, 19 Sep. 1851, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 31, box 22, fd. 5.
- Bullock, Thomas, Journals 1843-1849, vol. 4.
- Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- Chambers, John G., to Editor, 14 May 1854, “Second Letter from the Mormon City, Utah Territory,” Manchester Examiner, 2 September 1854.
- Clayton, William, Diary, 1847 January-December.
- Derrick, Zachariah Wise, Journal 1851, 2-3.
- Egan, Howard, Pioneering the West, 1846 to 1878, ed. and comp. William M. Egan  21-105.
- Empey, William A., "The Mormon Ferry on the North Platte, The Journal of William A. Empey, May 7-August 4, 1847," ed. Dale L. Morgan, Annals of Wyoming , July-Oct. 1949, 124-33.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "Funeral Services for Martha Bullock Held Monday," Pleasant Grove Review, 8 Mar. 1935, 1.
- Harmon, Appleton Milo, Diary 1847 April-July.
- Jackman, Levi, Journal 1847 March-1849 April, 35-59.
- Jacob, Norton, Reminiscence and journal 1844 May-1852 January, 47-85.
- “John Brown, Pioneer," Deseret News, 11 Nov. 1893, 32.
- John Brown Emigrating Company, Journal, 1851 July-Sept.
- “John Brown's company of 10, report, 1848 June.” In Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849.
- "Joseph Chatterley," in Biographical Information Relating to Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel database.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 17.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1851, 6A.
- Kesler, Frederick, Autobiography, in Ned R. Veater, Veater Family History, 1787-1990 , 359.
- Kimball, Heber C., Journal, in Papers 1837-1866.
- Lyman, Amasa Mason, Diary, reel 1, vol. 8, 1-26 and 1-10, written by Albert Carrington, in Amasa Mason Lyman, Collection 1832-1877.
- Lyman, Eliza Maria Partridge, Life and Journal of Eliza Maria Partridge Lyman [n.d.], 43-45.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- “Mississippi company, report, 1848 May.” In Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849
- "Patriarch John Brown Dead," Deseret News [Weekly], 14 Nov. 1896, 697.
- Rigby, William Frederick, [Autobiographical sketch], in Joseph Eckersley, Journal and reminiscence A record of the dealings of God with me Joseph Eckersley 1842-1884.
- Rockwood, Albert Perry, Diary, 1847 April-July.
- Rollins, James H., Sketches from camp journal of Pres. Amasa Lyman's Company [24 July 1848 report], in George Albert Smith, Papers, 1834-1882, box 4, fd. 11.
- Smith, Elias, Journals, 1836-1888, vol. 7.
- Williams, Robert, Autobiography [ca. 1859], 118-25.
- Woodruff, Wilford, Journal, 1847 Jan.-1853 Dec., box 2, fd. 3, in Journals and papers 1828-1898, 26-77.