- Birth Date
- 11 April 1825
- Death Date
- 17 October 1908
Jesse Bigler Martin
After serving in the Mormon Battalion, Jesse initially traveled from California to the Salt Lake Valley in the Jonathan H. Holmes/Samuel Thomason Company in 1848 according to his obituary. This company constructed a wagon road over Carson Pass which was later used by many traveling to and from California.
In 1857, at the end of a mission, he left Liverpool and began his journey to the Salt Lake Valley, eventually becoming the captain of the Jesse B. Martin Company as indicated in his personal Journal 1853-1857.
- Age at Departure: 23
- Age at Departure: 32
- Company Captain
- Booth, John Edge, [Autobiography], in Elsie Delia Adams, comp., John Edge Booth, 1847-1920 , 23.
- Dana, Charles Root, Autobiography, 1859, 171-76.
- "Jesse B. Martin, Old Resident of Utah, Passes Away," The Salt Lake Herald , 19 Oct. 1908, 2.
- Martin, Jesse Bigler, Journal, 1853-1857, fd. 3, 76-118.
- McQuarrie, Lillie Mikkelsen, [Biographical sketch of Robert McQuarrie, 1962], 2-3.
- McQuarrie, Robert, Journals, 1854-1917, vol. 1, 6-15.
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 , , 222-23.
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin. The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848, Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996, 23.
- Schoenfeld, Ottilie Mieth, Autobiographical sketch [ca. 1910], .
- Solomon, Alfred, Autobiography, in Mormon biographical sketches collection [ca. 1900-1975], reel 11, box 15, fd. 12, item 3, 3.
- Weight, Elizabeth Bocock, A short history of Elizabeth Bocock Weight, Ms 2305, box 2, fd. 63, p. 1.