- Birth Date
- 8 November 1807
- Death Date
- 30 September 1856
The family sailed to America in 1856 on the ship Horizon.
He had a two-year-old daughter, Elizabeth, who died on 6 July 1856 near Chicago, prior to the company leaving to cross the plains.
- Age at Departure: 48
- Head of Household
- Died en Route
- Allen, Mary Ann Barton, "Autobiography of Mary (Ann) Barton Allen," [1-2]. (Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.)
- Bell, Stella Jaques, Life History and Writings of John Jaques , 305.
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 30 November 1856, 7.
- McBride, H[eber] R[obert], "Tounge nor Pen Can Never Tell the Sorrow: Heber McBride Describes the 1856 Martin Handcart Disaster," Crossroads Newsletter , spring 1994, 3-4.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 248.
- Ship Passenger and Manifest Lists/Mormon Migration