- Birth Date
- 9 September 1813
- Death Date
- 6 June 1886
The France family traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Samuel Gully/Orson Spencer Company in 1849. The family included Joseph, his children from his first wife, DeWitt and Amanda Melvina, and his wife Diana Lucina Smith and their daughter Annie Eleanor.
Naomi and Mortimer Spicer, the niece and nephew of Joseph and Diana France may have traveled with them.
At the end of a mission, Joseph returned home with the Edmund Ellsworth Company in 1856.
- Age at Departure: 35
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 42
- 1850 Utah Census.
- Biographical Record of Salt Lake City and Vicinity (Chicago: National Historical Record Company, 1902), 525.
- Butler, William, Journal, in Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Collection, 1828-1963, reel 11, item 3.
- Card, Charles Ora [Autobiographical sketch], in Andrew Jenson, comp., Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia, , 1:296-297.
- Edmund Ellsworth Emigrating Company, Journal, 1856 June-Sept.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Ham, Ann, Diary of Ann Ham Hickenlooper.
- Oakley, John, Journal excerpt 1856 June-Aug.
- "Obituary," Salt Lake Herald , 10 June 1886, 5.
- Spencer, Daniel to F. D. Richards, 22 June 1856, "Foreign Correspondence," Latter-day Saints' Millennial Star , 2 Aug. 1856, 489-90.