- Birth Date
- 15 August 1827
- Death Date
- 30 May 1905
William, originally from Ireland, started from Canada on 1 April 1850, and arrived in the Salt Lake Valley on 16 August 1850. He didn't travel with a specific company, but followed the pioneers to the Valley. He was not a Mormon, however, he joined the church when he arrived in Salt Lake. He encountered the James Lake Company en route.
In 1856, at the end of a mission, William returned home with the Edmund Ellsworth Company. He was the Captain of the 2nd Hundred. At one point along the journey he was unable to follow the train and drive the stock, so his wife Emma took over for him. He was left behind to travel or die. He recovered and was able to continue the journey.
- Age at Departure: 22
- Age at Departure: 28
- Head of Household
- Butler, William, [Autobiography], in An Enduring Legacy , 12 vols. [1978-89], 8:76-77.
- Butler, William, Autobiography 1850-1875, 3-5.
- Butler, William, Journal, in Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Collection, 1828-1963, reel 11, item 3.
- Butler, William, Reminiscences, 1-2. (Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.)
- Edmund Ellsworth Emigrating Company, Journal, 1856 June-Sept.
- "Emigrants for Utah," Deseret News, 6 August 1856, 8.
- Ham, Ann, Diary of Ann Ham Hickenlooper.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 26 September 1856, 28.
- Oakley, John, Journal excerpt 1856 June-Aug.
- Patriarchal Blessing Index, 1833-1971. (Closed to Research)
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 234.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 89.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 198.
- Smith, Andrew, Diaries, 1853-1856, fd. 2.
- Spencer, Daniel to F. D. Richards, 22 June 1856, "Foreign Correspondence," Latter-day Saints' Millennial Star , 2 Aug. 1856, 489-90.
- Walters, Archer, Diary 1856 Mar.-Sept., 9-16.
- Woodward, W., to Albert Jones, Handcart Veterans Association, 12 Sep. 1906. Handcart Veterans Association, Scrapbook, 1906-1914, fd. 2.
- Woodward, William, to Heber C. Kimball, 11 June 1856, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 35, box 25, fd. 9.