Central States Mission
Previous Mission Names
The Southwestern States Mission was renamed from the Indian Territory Mission in 1898. Its name was changed again in 1904 to the Central States Mission and headquarters were moved from St. Johns, Kansas to Independence, Missouri. Beginning in 1907, the mission published a periodical called the Liahona. Later that same year the magazine merged with the Southern States Mission magazine to become Liahona, The Elders' Journal.
Chronological history of the mission containing information about missionaries, members, and units, compiled from mission reports, journals, news articles, and other documents. Also includes history for the Indian Territory Mission.
The official periodical of the Southwestern States Mission from January 1899 to April 1901. William T. Jack, Southwestern States Mission president, served as the editor. It was published monthly at St. Johns, Kansas.
Published in the interest of the Central States Mission, the Liahona magazine was began 6 April 1907 and ran until 15 June 1907, when it merged with The Elders’ Journal of the Southern States Mission to become Liahona, the Elders’ Journal. It contains some information about the mission and letters from missionaries.
Printed at Independence, Missouri, as the periodical for the United States missions of the Church. It was a combination of The Liahona of the Central States Mission and The Elders’ Journal of the Southern States Mission. Liahona, the Elders’ Journal was published from 22 June 1907 to 27 February 1945. It contains information about arrivals, transfers, and releases of missionaries, as well as a number of mission photographs.