Skip main navigation

Church History

Daily

St. George’s Temple Christmas

On Christmas Day in 1876, many Saints worked feverishly to complete the Church’s first operating temple since their departure from Nauvoo 30 years earlier. The sounds of men’s saws filled the temple throughout the day while 40 women worked together sewing carpets. In January 1877, parts of the temple were dedicated and began to be used.

Laura F. Willes, “Prophets at Christmastime,” Ensign, Dec. 2012, 54