Skip main navigation

Church History

Daily

The Man Who Named Institute

J. Wyley Sessions, who had been called in 1926 to organize a center for Latter-day Saint students at the University of Idaho, involved faculty and community members in some of his planning. It was Dr. Jay G. Eldridge, a professor of German who wasn’t a member of the Church, who suggested “The Latter-day Saint Institute of Religion” as a name for the center. Today, over 2,500 centers carry the name Eldridge suggested.

Dennis A. Wright, “The Beginnings of the First LDS Institute of Religion at Moscow, Idaho,” Mormon Historical Studies (Spring 2009), 72