The town of Iosepa, founded in 1889 by converts from the Pacific Islands, was laid out following the original 1833 “Plat of the City of Zion,” with a large, central public square and streets and avenues aligned to the cardinal directions. The settlers named the town’s public square Imilani, which means “to seek for God or the heavens” in Hawaiian. The town’s main street was called Napela Street, after the influential early Maui Saint Jonathan Napela. Other north-south streets were named after significant religious figures or Pacific Islander individuals or families, while east-west avenues were named after places on the settlers’ home islands.
Benjamin Pykles, “Iosepa: Utah’s Pacific Islander Pioneers through an Archaeologist’s Eyes,” Men and Women of Faith lecture series, Salt Lake City, Utah, July, 11, 2013; history.lds.org