Selected Collections of the Church Archives
Included are about 4,000 pages from the papers of Joseph Smith, founding prophet of the Church; the Revelations collection; 34,000 pages of letters and typescripts of Brigham Young correspondence; as well as thousands of pages from other selected items in the Church archives.
Joseph Smith Collection, 1827–1844
Brigham Young Office Files, 1832-1878
Church Historian's Office. General Church Minutes, 1839–1877
Church Architect's Office. Salt Lake Temple Architectural Drawings, 1853–1893
William Weeks. Nauvoo Architectural Drawings, circa 1841–1846 - (MS 11500)
Since 1899, the Church has published official reports of its annual (April) and semiannual (October) General Conferences, commonly called Conference Reports. These reports are distributed in booklet form only to Church leaders (bishoprics and higher), Church employees, and libraries
This publication began in 1897 and ran through 1970. It was the official arm of the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association. It followed the Contributor Magazine (1879-1896). Joined officially to the YMMIA, the Era immediately became the premier adult periodical of the Church through its General Authority sponsorship and its focus on theology, history, contemporary affairs, and life in the Church.
The Juvenile Instructor began publication in January 1866 and was the first children's magazine published between the Mississippi River and the West Coast of the United States. Its first issue identified its primary audience as the children of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and its purpose was to help prepare them for future responsibilities. It also printed essays, stories, and biographical sketches that often focused on moral issues or the history of other cultures. Officially owned and published by the Sunday School from 1901 to 1929, the Juvenile Instructor contained important organization and business matters of the Sunday School as well as adult and youth stories and essays. As its interests turned more toward filling the needs of teachers, it became the teachers' magazine of the Church and was renamed The Instructor in 1929.
The first newspaper of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, published monthly in Independence, Missouri, from June 1832 to July 1833. When the press in Missouri was destroyed by a mob, publication continued several months later in Kirtland, Ohio, from December 1833 to September 1834.The Evening and the Morning Star was succeeded by the Latter Day Saints' Messenger and Advocate in October 1834 (HC 2:167)
International Dutch periodical from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. First published in June of 1896 in the Netherlands. Became an international Magazine in 1967. Name changed to Liahona in January 2000.
International German periodical from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. First published in January of 1869 in Zurich. Became an international Magazine in 1967. Name changed to Liahona in January 2000.